Saturday, March 23, 2013

Caramel and Marshmallow filled Easter Eggs



Easter eggs are great. I don't know why but chocolate seems to taste better in egg form. I've made my own chocolate eggs before using egg moulds but it is very time consuming. I wanted to make eggs filled with delicious goodness and I found buying Cadbury hunting eggs and just filling them with my own fillings to be very effective.


I wanted to make my own marshmallow and use it to fill the eggs. I also wanted to use my caramel recipe to fill the eggs too. I ended up making two variations, one keeping the egg whole and filling with both caramel and marshmallow and the other one halving the eggs and filling with marshmallow and sprinkles.


Caramel and Marshmallow filled Easter eggs

Marshmallow adapted from Taste.com

What you will need


15 Cadbury hunting eggs (or any hollow Easter eggs)
1 batch of caramel
3/4 cup caster sugar
1 tbs gelatine
1 tsp vanilla essence

100's and 1000's
Cadbury Mini Drops

What you will need to do

To make the marshmallow, combine sugar with 1/3 cup warm water in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook stirring until sugar is dissolved and syrup is clear. In a separate bowl, combine gelatine and 1/3 cup cold water and whisk with a fork. Pour into hot syrup, cook stirring until gelatine has dissolved and liquid is clear. Pour into bowl of electric mixer and whisk on high until mixture becomes very thick and glossy. Add vanilla and mix to combine.


To make the halved eggs filled with marshmallow, carefully cut 5 or so eggs in half lengthways using a warm knife. Spoon the marshmallow mixture into the shells. Sprinkle with Mini Drops and 100's and 1000's. Leave in the fridge to set overnight.


To make the caramel and marshmallow filled eggs, carefully make a small hole in the tops of 10 eggs using a warmed cake tester or the tip of a knife. I found heating the tip of a knife under my blowtorch worked. Fit a piping bag with a small enough nozzle to fit the hole you made. Fill it with caramel and pipe enough caramel to half fill each egg.


Using another piping bag fitted with the same size nozzle, pipe marshmallow into the eggs until it oozes out the tops. You may need to lightly tap them on the bench to remove any trapped air bubbles. Put int fridge to set overnight.



No comments:

Post a Comment