Saturday, November 24, 2012

Moist and Light Banana Cake


If you like Sara-Lee banana cake, you will LOVE this recipe! When I think of banana cake, I want something light and moist and full of banana flavour, oh and of course cream cheese icing! I am pretty proud of this recipe because I pretty much developed it myself. I used my no chocolate brownie recipe as a base and turned it into a delicious banana cake.


I swear you will not be able to stop at one piece, it is so light you could eat the whole cake before feeling weighed down and sluggish. Cream cheese icing is the perfect match for any banana cake and normally I would make my own from scratch. However I found Philidelphia Cream Cheese Frosting on sale at the supermarket and thought I would give it a go. It tastes exactly the same as the icing I make and because it was on special it turned out cheaper too.


I sometimes think this would make a lovely pudding. If you made it in little ramekins and served it with warm caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream, mmmmmmmm yum! I'll have to give it a go one day :)


NOTE: Using the ripest bananas is best as the flavour is much stronger and creates a better texture in the cake. Also its a great way to use up over ripe bananas that are no longer good for eating. 


Moist and Light Banana Cake


What you will need


3 eggs
1 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
170g butter, melted
1 cup plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
4 ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
1/2 cup walnuts, crushed
Cream Cheese Frosting

What you will need to do


Preheat oven to 180*C. Line a square cake tin with baking paper. Beat eggs and sugars in a bowl until sugars are dissolved. Add vanilla butter, plain flour, baking powder and salt and mix until just combined. Fold in the bananas and walnuts. Pour cake mix into prepared tin. Bake in oven for approximately 30 minutes or until the middle is no longer wobbly. The middle will be very soft to touch and probably won't spring back when it's cooked but as long as it is not wobbly it will be fine. 

Take cake out and cool on wire rack. Once cool, wrap in plastic wrap and place in freezer (the cake is so soft that it is a lot easier to ice when it is frozen firm). When the cake is firm to touch, take out of freezer and ice with cream cheese frosting.


No comments:

Post a Comment